What is Adult Safeguarding?

Safeguarding means protecting people’s right to live in safety, free from abuse, neglect and self neglect.

Any form of abuse or neglect is unacceptable and never justifiable, no matter what reason may be given for it.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of abuse or neglect there is help that you can access. 

The Safeguarding Adults Board Vision

For adults, irrespective of age, race, gender, culture, religion, disability or sexual orientation to be able to live with their rights protected, in safety, free from abuse and the fear of abuse.

Adult Social Care will look into concerns about abuse, neglect and self neglect if:

  • an adult has needs for care and support (even if they don’t have anyone supporting them)
  • they are experiencing, or at risk of, abuse pr neglect or self neglect
  • and as a result of their care and support needs, they are unable to protect themselves.

People who have difficulties such as dementia, learning disability, physical disability, frailty, mental ill-health or substance abuse might have care and support needs that may make them more vulnerable to abuse or neglect.

Adult Social Care work with other professionals, such as health profesionals, police and care providers, and others, to

  • prevent and stop the abuse or neglect and
  • improve the person’s wellbeing and quality of life and sense of control over their lives. 


Making Safeguarding Personal

All adult safeguarding support should focus on what the adult at risk wants and how their lives can be improved.  There is more information about how professionals should help on the webpage Making Safeguarding Personal.

All adult safeguarding support is governed by the Care Act 2014 and the Care and Support Statutory Guidance. There is also further guidance issued by the Association of Directors of Adult Social Services (ADASS) called the London Multi Agency Adult Safeguarding Policy and Procedures.

If You Are Concerned About Someone

If you are worried about an adult, talk to them about your concerns – if it is safe to do so – and ask them what they want help with and whether they feel at risk. 

Contact Adult Social Care on 01895 556633 to report your concerns and ask for help for yourself or someone you know. You can also fill in an online form here

If you think an adult is a victim of a crime report it to the police. Call 999 in an emergency. Call 101 if the crime has already happened and the person is now safe.