Our shared vision and values
Hillingdon citizens, irrespective of age, race, gender, culture, religion, disability or sexual orientation are able to live with their rights protected, in safety, free from abuse and the fear of abuse.
The Care Act 2014 statutory guidance “The Care and Support Statutory Guidance” “The Care and Support Statutory Guidance”, in section 14.13, states that the following six principles apply to all sectors and settings and should inform all safeguarding adults work. Our vision is underpinned by these principles:
- Empowerment: People being supported and encouraged to make their own decisions and informed consent
- Prevention: It is better to take action before harm occurs
- Proportionality: The least intrusive response appropriate to the risk presented
- Protection: Support and representation for those greatest in need
- Partnership: Local solutions through services working with their communities. Communities have a part to play in preventing, detecting and reporting neglect and abuse
- Accountability: Accountability and transparency in delivering safeguarding
In order to achieve this vision all partners have agreed the following shared priorities:
- Working collaboratively (taking a ‘whole system approach’) to raise awareness and minimise the risk of abuse, neglect and self neglect; and to ensure our response is timely, proportionate, effective and in accordance with the six key principles of safeguarding adults when it does occur.
- Making Safeguarding Personal: The individual’s views are central to any decision making (taking mental capacity, public interest and coercion and control into account) and any activity undertaken supports the outcome(s) the individual wants to achieve.
- To ensure the voice of the adult, their carers, their family, local data, learning from reviews, best practice guidance, emerging research and changes in legal frameworks underpin practice and service development.
- To evidence the effectiveness of single and multi-agency safeguarding arrangements and satisfy the Hillingdon Safeguarding Adult Partnership that the safety, wellbeing and quality of life of adults with care and support needs is optimised.